It's all in the name?


The other day one of my patients was telling a friend how much they like our practice and that she should switch dentists. Now this is how referrals often happen.  My patient was asked by her friend what the name of my dental practice was and she said "What do you mean?" And her friend repeated that she was interested in the"name of the practice". Oh- it's just his name-Lawerence Spindel DDS."

This led me to realize that more and more dentists are involved in group practices  that have a name other than the dentist's name and it has gotten to the point that it is expected by some. My lack of a special practice name may even be negatively received by some prospective patients.

Thisjust may be evidence that the dental profession has reached a  tipping point. When I started practicing in 1980  it wasn't particularly classy for dentists to have  a corporate name for their practice and at least to me, it implied that the practice was more business oriented and possibly a dental insurance clinic type setting, as opposed to a fee for service practice. I never seriously had the urge to give my practice a name different than my own. Yes, we had several dentists practicing together in my office, but we just listed their names individually on the door. Now, its more common, even for solo practitioners to have an actual practice name. Last night I was sitting at a table with a bunch of my colleagues, all  from my study club and I brought this subject up. Everyone sitting with in earshot explained that their practices had a name different than their own. When I asked them why, they replied that it makes it easier for them to employ associates and possibly will be easier to sell their practices, without selling their "names".

So, should I conclude that I am  being old fashioned in my habits and just maybe I should consider changing my practice's name?  I am probably just not very imaginative, but I can't think of a name other than my own that I would prefer for my practice name .  For now, I believe I will keep my practice name and possibly wait for my son, who is starting this fall at NYU College of Dentistry to complete his training and then I will consider changing the practices name.  How about Larry and David's Dental Boutique? Nah, that sounds like the fruit of the month company! I am officially opening this process to my readership.... Maybe you can suggest a good business name?

from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2017/12/its-all-in-name.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know