Is anything bothering you?


After I have greeted a new patient into my practice, if they are in my schedule, instead of my hygienist, I know there is a good chance something is bothering them, since my office manager will usually schedule patients without a specific problem with my hygienist for their first visit. If they are in my schedule, even if I have a relative idea of their concern, I want to hear it "straight from the horses mouth", since sometimes there can be something missing from a second hand version.

I often ask them "So what can I do for your?"  or "What brings you here?" This usually is a good opening line used to  open up a dialog . In our ensuing brief conversation, I can find out what their symptoms are or what are their chief concerns. This is important because I would like to accurately diagnose what is going on and I need to know what sort of radio graphs and hands on diagnostic procedures I will have to perform (percussion, cold sensitivity testing, direct visualization) and on what quadrant(s) . Also I find it helpful hearing where my new patient is coming from. What, if any are their  opinions about the cause of their problems and often they have a story about their last dentist(s) that they would like to relate as well.

Usually after five or ten minutes  I have an idea of whats bothering them and I can offer some options . I can show them intraoral magnified pictures of their teeth or enlarged radiographs on my computer monitor and this often helps understand my explanations.  I am fortunate that my periodontist practices in my building and if needed he also will meet with my patient. Usually our interaction with our new patient is satisfying and they return for treatment in the future. Occasionally, they are not satisfied with my diagnosis or treatment plan and seek a second or even third opinion. I always explain that this is fine and they are always welcome to return in the future if they feel like it.

from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2019/12/is-anything-bothering-you.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know