Happy Holidays!


 Our last day in the office is Monday December 23. We reopen on January 2nd. On behalf of me and my staff, we wish all our patients happy holidays. This marks the end one year and a beginning of a new one and for many this is a time for reflection. Next year will mark the fortieth year of my dental practice and every day in my office I encounter patients who I have been fortunate to be in a position to treat, whose continued trust is both  an honor and a source of professional pride. My relationship with my patients adds meaning to my life and I look forward to continuing their care in the years to come.

While some of my  long time colleagues have already retired , I have resumed teaching at NYU College of Dentistry, supervising third and fourth year students, on Thursday mornings and Fridays. While at the school I have numerous opportunities to interact with students and their patients,  Using a baseball analogy, I feel like a batter taking extra batting practice to sharpen my skills. Also interacting with my students and other faculty help to keep me mentally sharp and  exposed to alternative ways to treat my patients dental problems.

Love of learning and thoughtful discussion is a long standing Jewish tradition. Tonight marks the beginning of Hannukah and Jews often celebrate by lighting candles on a monorah,   enjoying delicious potato latkes and retelling the Hannukah story that  celebrates a  Jewish  victory over those who would corrupt our religion and subdue us.

Through out our long history, the Jewish people have struggled with others who wanted to kill us, enslave us, or convert us,  all because we practice a different religion. Long ago, the Maccabees, some of our  forbearers, would not give in to their enemies. It is a holiday that has modern implications.Today there seems to be a resurgence of antisemitism. Although I am not terribly observant, I am proudly Jewish and  I plan on spending tonight celebrating the first night of Hanukah with my brother and his family; lighting the first candle and eating potato latkes.




from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2019/12/happy-holidays.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know