Zooming to work?


I have been home for two weeks and have been cooped up in a one bedroom apartment for 99% of the time. My sole escape is twenty minute shopping trips to the supermarket. I have tried my best to social distance and fortunately so far I feel OK

. In the last week I have started "working from home". This is pretty hard for a dentist to do but in my case it is  a very good idea for me since I am 66 years old and somewhat immune compromised ( I take an immunosuppressant that has  kept me in remission for Crohn's disease for more than 20 years).

Last Saturday I learned how to host my Spear Study Clubs online using Webex and On Monday I started  familiarizing myself with Zoom so that I will to be able to "virtually" participate for my NYU clinic sessions. NewYork College of Dentistry has closed indefinitely with the exception of online instruction. This week I have attended several meetings with other NYU faculty where we discussed ideas about how we can remotely train our third and fourth year dental students .

I have a number of case presentations stored on my laptop, left over from presentations for my study club that can be utilized if the students wish to go over them. Also the students will have the opportunity to have more lengthy discussion about dentistry with faculty since we are not as busy supervising students engaged in actual dentistry.

Truth be told the experience is a little like an episode of the Jetsons. George used to communicate with Mr. Sprockly and his family via a tv screen . Once or twice a day he would push an actual button, while he supervised his factory.  Now if only Rosie the robot would show up to cook me dinners and clean my apartment!




from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2020/03/zooming-to-work.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know