Staging treatment?

2011

My patient came for a consult in 2011 and her radiographs showed that most of her lower teeth had rather extensive root decay. After an examination I suggested she remove tooth #24,25& 26 since they could easily replaced by adding teeth to her existing partial. I did suggest she crown #'s22, 27 &29. She wasn't willing to remove any of her remaining teeth and asked if there was some way to save all her lower teeth. I said I would try.

Crowns were made on teeth #s 22, 27 & 29 and retro fit to  her pre-existing partial denture. She didn't have the finances to allow  permanent crowns on teeth #'s 24, 25  &26 so we cleaned out the decay and fabricated a jet acrylic temporary that was cemented with glass ionomer cement. This interim restoration made sense since It would allow me to make sure no root canals would be required and also allow her to afford the addition expense of finishing these restorations with permanent crowns.



It was a good plan but things went a little sideways.  My patient disappeared for 5 years. When she returned my temporaries had some recurrent decay. The good news was that now my patients was ready to commit to saving these teeth by fabricating permanent crowns.

5 year old temp


I had to cut off the temporary, clean out the additional decay, spackle the preps with miraclemix and make a new temporary.
reprepped teeth
new temps

Luckily there were no exposures and the following visit I took a final impression and two weeks later inserted her new Zirconium with porcelain overlay splinted crowns.


My patient was happy and I felt it was a good day for dentistry!

from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2019/08/staging-treatment.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know