999 posts?


I woke up this morning and checked my blog's dashboard and it turns out that my blog has nine hundred and ninety nine posts. This will be number 1000! I have been at it for over ten years and have about 2.5 million page views ( at least according to Google). I started writing this blog in 2005 shortly before I separated from my wife. Katherine was a writer, whose work included numerous magazine articles in Mademoiselle and a number of books, including Dates from Hell , More Dates from Hell, Ranch House Style, and a book for Ethan Allen Furniture.

Katherine passed away last year after a long battle with Cancer and she has been in my thoughts of late. In some ways she is responsible for my blogging, since over the years, I had been pressed into duty as her editor ( probably because I worked cheap!). Editing made me think about writing and helped improve my own skills, which were somewhat lacking.

Katherine had a great deal of believe in herself and was extremely motivated in achieving her goals. In fact that was what had impressed me when I originally met her in 1981. She was new to the city and had just got her first job as a production assistant at Harper's Bazaar. She confided in me that she wanted to be a writer and that she was sure that this was going to happen sooner or later (She was right!).

We were together through good times and bad until 2006 when we went our separate ways. Divorce is not usually pleasant and according to my accountant, mine was one of the worst he had ever witnessed ( at least from my financial point of view). Katherine and I were competitive types and when all was said and done, Katherine confided in me that she had "won our divorce"! Probably she was right, but I really didn't feel badly that the final settlement was generous to her.

That being the case, I started my new life as a single dentist in NYC and being broke and somewhat angry didn't make me very attractive to the single woman I met. Consequently I had a lot of free time and not much money. I turned to Blogging partly to occupy my free time and possibly because it might help promote my dental practice ( I had a large legal bill left over from the divorce).

So I guess in part, I owe the success of my blog to my Ex, Katherine and somewhere in heaven she is probably rewriting this post. Correcting it's grammar, and adding sentences and probably cursing under her breath. This post is for you Katherine- You will long be remembered by those who knew you!



from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2019/02/999-posts.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know