When Hell freezes over?









At least once per month I have lunch with my brother, the physician. He has been doctoring at NYC's Montefiore Hosptial since before I graduated from dental school. We talk on the phone frequently and offer advice and support to each other. Often my role is to function as a sounding board, who listens and doesn't talk much (truly difficult for someone like me).

There are a number of consistent themes in his conversations. For years he has been complaining about  Social Media, smart phones, and the Clintons (although even he sheepishly confessed he voted for Hilary last fall).  Now don't get me wrong, I believe my brother is one of the smartest people I know, but in my experience, even smart people can be mistaken and but are often better at convincing themselves and others that they are not!

We have, in the past meetings riffed on the state of the world, ideas for movie screen plays, politics, the direction that dentistry and medicine are going and of course family matters.  He hates smart phones and always admonishes me not to take pictures for posting on Facebook while we together and will never answer anyones' texts ( he claims his phone plan doesn't cover texting).

Oh, I should add that we both love food and eating out around the city. Often our conversations take place in the various restaurants we go to.  We love meeting at Arthur Ave (the Bronx's Little Italy) or meeting for Dimsum. He has a large  family and often has one or two members in tow when we meet.

Lately he has been lamenting about my lack of a land line and how much he hates communicating with cell phones. He complains he can't hear me ( which is a little ironic, since sometimes I feel I can't even get a word in when we talk).

Two weekends ago, we went on a short road trip to Muscoot farm in norther Westchester where they have a farmers market on Sundays.  We went in my Mini Cooper and came back loaded with our purchases. He was a little frazzled when unloading all his goodies and later when I got home I received a phone call from his son, asking me whether I had seen his phone (he couldn't find it after our trip).

This resulted in him taking another trip to the mobile phone store to purchase a replacement phone (his old phone was two weeks old) .   As fate would have it he finally located his misplaced dumb phone and was using it for our call. He had accidentally dropped it in his deep freezer when unloading his groceries and it had been chilling all week. Almost as an after thought he added that he had bought his first smart phone! He was relieved because locating his flip phone would now allow him to "take his time" learning  how to use his new phone at a more leisurely pace.





from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2017/08/when-hell-freezes-over.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know