5-Minute Paleo Tuna Salad

My nephew Neal created this recipe and man, have I been hooked (ha!) ever since. Neal is one of those people who went paleo long before the rest of the family had even heard that term, so when he told me that this was his go-to lunch, I knew I had to try it out myself.

The best part about this recipe? You don’t have to be a chef or have much cooking know-how to change things up.

For example, I’ll swap out the avocado sometimes for Primal Kitchen mayo (one of my favorites) or I’ll swap out the bell peppers for cherry tomatoes. I don’t like being glued to a cookbook, especially when I’m putting together a meal that’s as utilitarian as lunch—once you make this recipe, you’ll be able to make it on auto pilot no problem.

The recipe is very forgiving—throw in whatever looks good (or, if you’re like me, whatever is about to go bad and needs to get used!)

This recipe is also awesome for your oral microbiome, thanks to the presence of avocado. Avocado is rich in prebiotic fiber, the stuff that acts as food for the healthy bacteria in your mouth, gut, and digestive tract. You’ve probably heard about probiotics, but prebiotics are just as important!

If you’re lucky enough to have multiple varieties are your grocery store: Haas avocados have more probiotics than the lighter green variety. For more foods that strengthen teeth, see The 5 Best Foods for Optimal Oral Health.

I’ll sign off the way Neal did when he sent me this recipe:

Welcome to Healthtown, USA!

Dr. Mark Burhenne

5-Minute Paleo Tuna Salad
My nephew Neal created this recipe and man, have I been hooked (ha!) ever since. The best part about this recipe? You don't have to be a chef or have much cooking know-how to change things up. For example, I'll swap out the avocado sometimes for Primal Kitchen mayo (one of my favorites) or I'll swap out the bell peppers for cherry tomatoes. I don't like being glued to a cookbook, especially when I'm putting together a meal that's as utilitarian as lunch—once you make this recipe, you'll be able to make it on auto pilot no problem.
Servings2 people
Prep Time5 minutes
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Drain the tuna in a strainer in the sink.
  2. Chop the bell pepper, pickle and onion (optional).
  3. In a medium bowl, mix the tuna, avocado, bell pepper, pickle, mustard, sea salt, black pepper, turmeric and onion.
Recipe Notes

Serving Suggestions:

  • Serve on bed of undressed arugula
  • Serve on two pieces of toasted Alvarado sprouted bread
  • Serve in a grain-free coconut wrap (I use this brand)

Ideas for Swaps:

  • Try chicken instead of tuna: If your kids are finicky about bringing tunafish to school, just swap it out with chicken! You can get a rotisserie chicken on a Sunday night to make this recipe for lunch all week long.
  • Try Primal Kitchen mayo instead of avocado: I love this mayo, not only because it has no industrial seed oils, and all paleo ingredients, but because it's actually the best thing out there when it comes to taste. Everyone goes nuts for this mayo, and we make sure to always have it on hand.
  • Try grape or cherry tomatoes instead of bell pepper: Especially when tomatoes are in season!
  • Try green onion or carrot instead of onion: Really, any type of crispy veggie will do here. It's hard to go wrong.

The post 5-Minute Paleo Tuna Salad appeared first on Ask the Dentist.



from Ask the Dentist https://askthedentist.com/recipe/5-minute-paleo-tuna-salad/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know