How is David doing?



 My son is approaching graduation from NYU  College of Dentistry this spring. Today he had an interview for a possible general practice residency. When he was done he called me on my cell phone to ask if we should have lunch together at my office. I said yes, of course , and went back to my patient who was listening to our conversation. Lately I have been listening to a playlist from my iPhone and my sons call was broadcast to the Tivoli radio that I use to amplify my music (embarrassing!)

David and I got take out food from a Potbelly and ate lunch together in my office. Currently he is planning on joining my practice after finishing his general practice residency. Since he is using the matching program that most of the dental students use, he will not know where he will be doing his residency until match day which is in January sometime. 

New York State requires that newly minted dentists either take part in a residency or practice in another state for a couple of years before they are eligible for a New York State dental license, so David can not join my practice until July 2022.  The fact is,  we are both excited at this prospect and I am looking forward to him joining us at 30 East 40th st. 

In fact I have been thinking about this possibility since he was quite small and would visit our office. I would dress him up in a smock, a mask and gloves and introduce him to my patients as Dr. David. Truth be told, I really didn't believe he would choose dentistry as a career, especially since he excelled in  so many subjects at school including Art, Math and Sciences and Spanish. He decided on a career in Dentistry his Junior year of college. Although I never pressured him to choose dentistry, I was happy when he made this decision, it seems to have been a good decision. He loves and is excited by dentistry and his instructors often let me know that I am lucky to have David as my son.... I agree whole heartedly!





from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2021/12/how-is-david-doing.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know