Does Waterpik have a model that doesn't need to be plugged to operate?



I  believe that using a Waterpik as an adjunct to brushing and flossing can help my patients keep their gums healthier. I have already covered the reasons in earlier posts but suffice to say it facilitates fluid exchange of sulcular fluid around the roots of the teeth and can cut down on gingival inflammation. 

Many of my patients, who live in apartments with relatively small bathrooms, complain that they don't want to use a waterpik in their bathroom because it needs to be plugged in. They have often commented that they would be more likely to use a smaller battery operated model. The problem is that most of the battery operated models are much less powerful and probably less effective.

When I went to the Greater New York Dental Convention at the end of November I stopped by the Waterpik booth and asked them what they had that was new and they showed me a battery operated model called the Ion Professional. It is smaller than their standard plugged in models and it has a rechargable nickel cadmium battery that they claim can hold a charge for up to one week.

I took one home and tried it out and it works as advertised. While I'm not sure it is practical to use in the shower ( another frequent patient request) it works fine sitting on my bathroom sink, without needing to be plugged into a socket. The water reservoir is easily removed for filling or cleaning and the stream it produces is plenty powerful. 

My sole complaint is that I keep spraying my bathroom mirror when I use it because I turn it on before placing the wand with spout in my mouth ( the instructions recommend placing the wand in your mouth before turning on the unit). I am sure if I keep using it, I will get the hang of it. Over all I give this unit a big thumbs up!



from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2021/12/does-water-pik-have-model-that-doesnt.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know