Manhattan is dead?... Not likely!

Photo from NYTimes artcle about NYC


 I have been hearing a lot of negative thoughts about dentistry in NYC from others. My own brother has suggested numerous times that I open a satellite office in the suburbs. I have been in practice quite awhile... 40+ years and I have experienced a number of economic downturns and other crises... This does appear to be the worst. That being said, all is not lost. Every day when I take my bus or subway train it seems that there are more people traveling into Manhattan ( I live in Queens). The streets have more and more foot traffic as well. There was an article in the Times yesterday with news about high tech companies taking more space. Amazon now has eight office properties in New York with most in Midtown. In fact the article informed us that  Amazon bought the Lord & Taylor building in August and 2, 000 employees will eventually work there!

My patients have been returning for the cleanings and check ups, even the ones who are telecomuting in the surrounding suburbs. That's a very good sign. Even though our office is not as convenient to visit now, most really don't feel like switching to a new dentist during uncertain times and they still want dental care. I am heartened to witness their loyalty and it gives my staff and I a reason to get up every day, put on our work clothes and travel into our office. Although the News we read in the paper and see on TV is not that encouraging, life goes on if we let it and I feel fortunate to have an office I can go to every day and work . After all, performing dentistry is something that I know well. At least during my workday things are predictable and my office is environment that I control. After all it is the uncertainty of whats going on outside that makes us all anxious and work can provide a temporary respite from all the apparent craziness of the outside world.




from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2020/10/manhattan-is-dead-not-likely.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know