The importance of helping others?


It  is my nature to like helping others. Not unlike many others I don't like to see people suffering. If a friend or colleague is in distress and it is in my power , I will gladly offer help. Since I practice in a building with over 50 other dentists, almost  every day one of my colleagues stops by. They may ask for advice,  to borrow some dental supplies . Sometimes they call and ask me to see one of their patients having an emergency .

Yes sometimes it can be inconvenient, but I try to help.  The truth is that  helping others is its own reward since  it makes us feel that the world is not such a bad place after all. Doing good is its own reward.. On more practical note, doing good deeds is remembered by those I have helped and they may reciprocate in the future when I myself  am in need. Not every time, but enough I find  that doing good often help sin the  future since I  know that there are many people I can call on, when I need  assistance and they will often help with my problem.

Clearly this is the way small towns work and NYC, even though it has over 8 million residents, developing a network of "friends" can make all the difference. The truth is I have been paid back, over and over for the help I have offered. In fact  two of the dental  practices I acquired were offered to me, at below market, rates by dentists I had helped,  That doesn't mean that I do not sometimes get taken advantage of by some , but who cares? At the end of the day the help and advice I offer doesn't cost me much financially and if we have the capacity to relieve someones suffering, it is our  bad if we do not offer assistance.




from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-importance-helping-others.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know