Dental Blogging 101?


Ok, I have been blogging continuously for a long time. I may have one the oldest continuous dental blogs (since 2005) in the world? I am not sure, but I haven't found an older continuously operational dental blog. I started writing the blog in order to offer explanations about dental problems and how to diagnose a handle them, geared to a lay audience.  After hundreds of these type of posts I branched out and now  I write some posts geared toward dentists as well.

I haven't hit a writer's block so far and find that my blog can be used to help fuel my social media posts for my Practice's Facebook page. Google has been very good to me; so far the blog has had over two million page views, most of which came courtesy of Google searches. My most popular posts tend to be related to queries about tooth problems that my earlier posts addressed.

My blog has not only increased help increase my visibility on the internet but has increased my visibility in public media and led to articles that mentioned me in Time Magazine, The Washington Post and the New York Daily News. It has been a highly effective vehicle for increasing my practices "brand recognition" in general.

If you are a dentist interested in starting your own dental blog it probably is a great idea as long as you pace your self and write about things patients maybe actually interested in reading about. Talking about dentistry and how you personally address these problems is probably a good place to start, since all dentists are actively engaged with these issues, and this is a subject that most are conversant on. Usually political or religious subject matter should be avoided since the actual purpose of a dental blog is to possibly help attracting people to your dental practice by generating a positive impression of our skills and knowledge and its best not to possibly offend readers with our personal opinions.

It is a good idea to have another trusted person (or two) read posts before they are made public and often after I have feedback, I make changes to a post. Having an interesting picture and tittle certainly help to get a post clicked on. Keep in mind that posts are probably best when they are not  blatantly self promotional and should reflect well on your dental practice or at least not diminish its reputation.

Although I am aware that many of my colleagues are not entirely comfortable with the idea of writing their own blog, dentistry has become increasingly commercialized. Most dental practice owners know that marketing and branding  benefit forward thinking practices. If you haven't already done so, starting a blog to add to your website can be a rewarding and great way to add to your marketing efforts. Besides, stimulating dormant brain cells and learning  new skills can be both challenging and fun.







from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2018/08/dental-blogging-101.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know