Tooth Bleaching 2018?


I have been advocating tooth whitening for my patients 1985. Over the years there have definately been some improvements. My recommendations have changed somewhat. Now I usually recommend my patients , who can afford it, have the delux treatment and start by having a session of Zoom Whitening. Actually most of the brands that dentists use work OK, but I have a Zoom light and like using the Zoom whitening system for my patients's in-office whitening.

This session is considerably shorter than it was originally and total chair time is about an hour and 15 minutes (3- 4 fifteen minutd applications of the bleach and isolation about ten minutes) .  Teeth tend to get several shades whiter after this treatment ( most companies claim more shade changes but I believe their claims may exaggerated for marketing purposes).

After the Zoom Bleaching I make custom trays to allow my patients to continue whitening until they achieve their eventual desired shade. Lately I have been recommending a 35% day whitening formula by Ultradent that is worn a maximum of thirty minutes per day. A small amount is placed as instructed into my patients trays and it seems to do a nice job of allowing my patients to both finishing their whitening. Also these trays can be used for touch ups later, when needed. Most patients report touching up 6 months to a year later.

I make my trays so that they are festooned and not contacting the intraproximal papillas because if the trays are over extended intraproximally there can be temporary burning of the gingiva and inflammation can result. I check for these over extensions when I give the patient their trays. Essentially I do my "final trimming" of the bleaching trays myself when inserting the trays. Although I like to be personally involved and not delegate this duty to a hygienist or assistant.  this step can  be easily accomplished by a trained hygienist or dental assistant.

My fee for this combination whitening procedure is $950 altogether for both procedures, but some offices may be offering whitening specials and offer considerable discounts probably because they may be using inexpensive whitening as a means of marketing their practices.

from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2018/02/tooth-bleaching-2018.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know