Partnering with Cigna?

I have participated in the Cigna Dental PPO network for four years. For the most part it has been good for my practice, but occasionally not so much. Often when Cigna returns their pre-certifications to my patients, they add a little note that my patient would save money if they used an "advantage" dentist ( a plan that allows a lower fee schedule than the PPO plan). I should note that after signing me up for the DPPO  plan Cigna set up an alternative and less expensive PPO plan named Advantage. (Advantage to Cigna I believe!)   I guess now I am no longer a Cigna "most" Preferred Provider? Cigna offer three tiers of dental plans. DMO, Advamtage PPO and, PPO

Now when Cigna patients call for an appointment and we ask if the have a Cigna PPO plan they sometimes reply yes an make an appointment, but sometimes I am considered an "out of Network Dentist" since I do not participate in the Advantage network. This can lead to an awkward  conversation since it isn't to the callers that Cigna offers more than one PPO options.   Many o are unaware of the three tier structure of providers that Cigna maintains.and hey figure that If they have Cigna and I "take" Cigna, then my practice is in their network. 

The truth is that at least for the Advantage Cigna patients going to a regular Cigna PPO dentist is a viable option, since usually it means that they will experience slightly higher deductibles, but for most the amount should not be a deal breaker ( $25 a year for preventive, $25 for basic and $25 for major services for example). I believe that those with Cigna Advantage should feel free to choose their dentist from either the advantage network PPO network or the regular PPO network. After all their teeth are important and the real "Advantage" in dental insurance is getting the type of dental care that will best preserve your dental health!                                           




from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2018/01/partnering-with-cigna.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know