Continual vis Continuing Education?


Continuing Education usually refers to a limited number of courses that dentists take. Often states laws require that a dentist have so much continuing education for each licensing  period. Many dentists take continuing education, at least in part because it is mandated by their states licensing laws.

 Continual Education ( a term I may have just made up) implies that learning is a life long commitment. School doesn't just take place in the  classroom. Now, with the advent of streaming videos and study clubs,  we can watch teaching videos whenever we wish. Also, watching other great clinicians at work is inspiring, as well as informative, and subscription teaching video sites abound.

Participating in study clubs seems to make me more interested in dentistry since it forces me to recognize there is still much to learn and there is always something new on the horizon that should be learned about  and possibly incorporated into my dental practice.

Changing my practice can be challenging, but it keeps me from going stale. Doing the same old thing can be comfortable, but it can lead to boredom. Dentistry is clearly more satisfying when I incorporate a new skill or knowledge into my practice.




from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2017/07/continual-vis-continuing-education.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know