Should I buy a digital intraoral camera?


I have been testing a Beta version of the new DexCam 4 software for Dexis. The first thing I did after unboxing it and downloading the software is take images of my own teeth. The second thing I did was call my dentist! Seeing the the enlarged color images of my teeth motivated me in a way speaking with my dentist had not! Seeing cracked teeth, cracked fillings and my worn teeth was truly upsetting.

Similarly, when I show images to my patients of a problem tooth, they seem more motivated to follow through with proposed treatment. Now this system is not cheap. I asked my rep. how much it could cost to buy it and since I already own Dexis images it should cost a discounted price of $3995. It seems pretty expensive, but when I asked my patients( after showing them pictures of their teeth) , nearly all my patients thought I should purchase one!

I'm clearly late to the party when it comes to intraoral cameras, since they seem to have been around forever, but this digital iteration makes real sense. The images almost instantly appear on my monitor and the handpiece can be moved from room to room and connected via a USB port. Although the images are less focused than those taken with my Nikon camera, they do not require mirrors and and loading into the computer with a card reader. Because of its simplicity, this system encourages me to take more picture of my patients' teeth and should  result in better acceptance of proposed treatments.

from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://ift.tt/2mx8EsV - http://ift.tt/1SpPbm6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know