Do you ever meet patients randomly outside of the office?

Although NYC has over 8 million residents, I do run into patients from time to time. It can be disconcerting if I don't immediately recall their name but some are clearly more memorable than others and their personal details are forever stamped into my longterm memory banks.

Yesterday I was teaching at NYU College of Dentistry and a student asked me to please go over her examination of an 88 year old patient. When I came over to her cubicle, I recognized her patient as one of my long time patients whom I haven't seen for more than 10 years. I recognized her immediately and greeted her happily "Hi Gail!". She looked confused and I removed my mask and said "It's Dr. Spindel". We chatted for a few minutes about her and her family and seeing her really made my day.

She had kept all her teeth and they were still in great shape. I'm not sure why she stopped coming to the office (I think she told Ida she was on a fixed income and felt she could no longer afford my services).
She asked me if I still had my practice (yes) and what days was I teaching and I sure I will see her soon since we found one tooth with a missing filling. I am looking forward to seeing her again soon!





from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2022/10/do-you-ever-meet-patients-randomly.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know