Why do dentists have some time booked out for clerical activities?





 I find that it is helpful to leave several hours during my working week that are not to be scheduled with patients for me to treat. This allows me to tackle tasks that require thinking or may be time consuming, unpleasant or both.  I can't speak for other dentists, but some of these activities make me anxious or put me in a less than positive mood... Probably it is best not to treat patients when dealing with some issues. 

Four years ago, I started teaching part time at NYU College of dentistry on my day off (Friday) and Thursday morning for three hours. Prior to working at NYU, I left open time on Fridays or Thursday mornings for non clerical activities. As much as I enjoy teaching , I don't like having limited time  to for my non clinical hours and was forced to deal with these activities between scheduled patient appointments.

Two weeks ago I requested to limit my teaching hours to Fridays and I have resumed my old habit of scheduling time consuming clerical activities on Tuesday or Thursday mornings, when we do not have a hygienist in the office. I find that my general mood has improved and I can handle these activities in a non hurried manner when I have no patient interactions. 



from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2022/06/why-do-dentists-have-some-time-booked.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know