Increased risk for tooth decay during the pandemic?

 I suspect that many dentists are noticing an increasing amount of new tooth decay in patients returning to their dental practices. The usual suspects maybe contributing explain this uptick. ..snacking on carbohydrates and sweets, poor oral hygiene and dry mouth are common contributing factors. I also have noticed an increasing number of cracked teeth and fillings that may have resulted from anxious patients bruxing and night grinding their teeth. 

People who are working remotely or just "sheltering in place" may not feel the need to brush as often since they are not going to be in close contacts with people outside of their families and mask wearing will generally keep other people from noticing any offensive mouth odors.

Staying at home may contribute the urge to snack since this helps eliminate boredom and lesson anxiety. Mouth breathing seems to be prevalent among mask wearers since most feel the need to increase the force of their air intake to overcome the filtering effects of masks. I know when I am walking briskly with a mask I tend to breath through my mouth while wearing a mask and through out the day my mouth is parched. Drinking water frequently helps, but this isn't always possible when I am inside with other people while shopping, treating patients or teaching at the dental school, since I don't feel like removing my mask in these situations. Plaque in dry mouths tends to adhere in a stickier film along teeth, especially along the gumline and my be more resistant to cleaning by tooth brushing. Sometimes a professional cleaning is what is needed to remove the most stubborn type of dried plaque films. 

Also many people have delayed seeing their dentist for their regular check ups and cleanings may have this more resistant   plaque in place for  over 6 months and this phenomenon may be partially responsible for some of the cervical (gumline) caries I am noticing. 

For all of these reasons, I believe it is time to see your dentist, even if you are unaware of any dental problems. Many of these carious lesions do not start hurting until they become grossly carious and by that time the tooth is more at a risk for a root canal or even an extraction. Seeing your dentist for treatment is relatively safe with or without a vaccination, since staff are wearing N95 masks or surgical masks ( or double masking). Most dentists I know have been vaccinated as well. If you haven't seen your dentist this year, it's probably time to book your appointment and I am sureour dentist will be happy to see you.



from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2021/05/increased-risk-for-tooth-decay-during.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know