When will dentists get their vaccine?

 


Our New York Dental Association has informed us that our staff and ourselves are in  a group designated by the state as 1A. I checked the NY State Board of Health  website and there was only one site giving vaccines to  group 1A and it was already fully booked and not accepting any more  reservations  this time. I expect that as time goes by more sites will be available for group 1A. Meanwhile dentists will continue treating their patients as they have been doing this year. 

The NYC positivity rate currently varies depending on a neighborhoods zip code. Forest Hills, where I live has a positivity rate of of over 8%. Of course this doesn't mean that 8% of my neighbors have active virus, but it translates to 8% of the tests being performed on people seeking a test are positive.


I myself took a mail in saliva test, dispensed by NYU College of Dentistry, on December 26 and tested negative (whew!).  Our office is currently closed for the holidays, but we will reopen Jan 4 th at 9 AM. I am confident that our office is a safe environment for my patients, staff and myself as well. We have air purifiers installed through out the office and leave all the windows slightly open. Patients have their temperatures and blood oxygen levels checked when they first enter the office and are instructed to keep their masks on until they are seated in a treatment room. Staff are all wearing masks and face shields while treating patients. We have been open since June 8th without a patient reporting that they had tested positive for Covid in the days following their appointment. 

While I understand people being concerned about visiting their dentist, I believe that dentists are quite capable of providing their treatments in a safe manner that will not spread the virus and most of my patients are committed to keeping their teeth healthy. Rest assured if my patients can safely travel to my office, my staff and I will continue treating them in the same safe manner that has worked well over the last 6 months. 

Let's hope that 2021 will be a better year. One in which all Americans will have the opportunity to recieve a vaccine . Mass vaccinations  should  help effectively eliminate the spread of the Covid-19 virus. 

Meanwhile, now is certainly not the time to let our guard down. Meeting with friends indoors, even in small groups, is a bad idea. I realize that many of us may have done this without anything bad happening, but this is a little like playing Russian Roulette. The best strategy to avoid contracting Covid, is to minimize our cumulative risks until we are vaccinated. It still a good idea to keep our masks on tightly when we are near others (not in our immediate household) and to minimize our exposures to others who may be infected (whether they know it or not). 



from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2021/01/when-will-dentists-get-their-vaccine.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know