Why the race to the bottom is bad for dental health?


In dentistry, traditional dentists tend to complain about our professions "race to the bottom". What are we talking about? It refers to insurance industry's tendency to bring out ever less expensive dental plans, with lower and lower reimbursements for providers and advertising these as new and better insurance plans. Even Medicare Advantage plans are participating in this trend by including dentistry in their coverage.

 What the public needs to be aware is that not all dentistry is the same and cutting corners tends to be included in the delivery of dentistry using  inexpensive dental plans.  Poorly reimbursed dentists not only need to "efficiently" deliver their dentistry but may have to make compromises involving the quality of their care and it can negatively impact on the overall result, both in the longevity of their restorations and their overall quality.

When I first started out in dentistry, I spent 4 years working in different settings including some "highly efficient" and affordable ones. I worked in union clinics and private offices that accepted union dental insurance plans. In fact this experience is what prompted me to eventually start my own fee for service practice in Manhattan , where I could practice in more ideal circumstances that allowed me more time for each patient's care. I have spent the last 35 years or so practicing on my own and have enjoyed this time.  Most days while examining my patients, I can observe the beauty of their dental restorations  and  take comfort in the knowledge that my  efforts have played a part in my patients continued  good dental health. Together we have made a commitment  to keep their teeth healthy and the results have paid off. It may have involved some sacrifice in time and money but the results over the last 35 years justify the effort.

Now, dentistry and health care in general seems to be under pressure to become more efficient and business like. I am worried that group practices, owned by corporations  will have a prmary mission to eke out maximum profits above all other considerations. Further more, in my opinion, accepting most types of dental insurance can tend to lower the overall standard of care.  I chose to become  a dentist for a number of reasons.  Of course I wanted to make a good living, but I also wanted to do my part in helping people and  to do my small part in making the world a better place. Over the years, Dentistry has made great strides in helping the public and over all our populations dental heath has improved with every subsequent generation. I hope that in our continued efforts to become more efficient our profession does  not throw out the proverbial baby with the bath water. After all we should be not just selling restorations but instead be providing services and advice that will help maintain the long term health of our patients mouths.

from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2019/10/why-race-to-bottom-is-bad-for-dental.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know