Immigrantion and NYC?


I know this post is not  be about dentistry per se, but dental practices in NYC usually have a large percentage of foreign born staff. NYC is recognized as a hub for innovation and business. Probably it is not a coincidence that it is a port of entry for many immigrants have played a large role in its  success.

The majority of my employees are not born in the U.S.  Most of my building's staff are immigrants as well. They work hard and I can attest to the great help they have been to my practice's on going success. For the most part they exhibit a work ethic that is exemplary.   I was brought up to believe that anything is possible in the US, especially with the appropriate amount of brains and hard work. My immigrant employees have bought into our American Dream and I admire both their moxie and  efforts to integrate into our country. Most have come from places where there is limited freedom, and personal security. They appreciate the good things about our country.

While I have heard others complain about criminal activities among our immigrant communities,  my experience has taught me that most of the immigrants contribute greatly to our  economies productivity. They work hard, complain little, and want their children to be part of our American Dream. Yes, some immigrants do engage in crime and some  game our generous social safety net, but New York , is a  city with one of the highest percentage of immigrants,  also has one of the lowest crime rates.

Coming from an immigrant family myself, I feel a part of the glorious mosaic that makes up our city. My grandparents on both sides arrived short on funds and escaping persecution and famine in Poland and the Ukraine. If they had not made the move to the US,  they almost certainly would not have survived WW 2. All my Aunts and Uncles were born in Eastern Europe ( my father was the first of his family to be born here. )

I am not a terribly political person, but we live in a very large country and China our competitor in business has a population that dwarfs ours. In my opinion, it seems counter productive to advocate shutting down immigration when most likely we will require a constant influx of immigrants to keep our economy vital. Yes,  we may want to pass laws that regulate the inflow of immigrants and possibly make sure that it is harder for new  immigrants  to game our social system, but the truth is that since the very first settlers arrived in the new world, immigrants have always played a role in making our country great.



from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2019/01/immigrantion-and-nyc.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know