What's your super power?


I am writing this post because I have "a screw loose" today.... the screw that attaches the temple arm to my loupes and if it comes out I am afraid I will not be able to wear my loupes and I will become a mere mortal dentist, at least until my replacement screw is shipped from Oroscoptic.

When I wear my 4.3 Oroscoptic Prismatic loupes I feel like I have a super power since I can see things clearly that mere mortals, who have just 20-20 vision,  can't see. My loupes are equipped with a super bright light as well which allows me to shine a bright light in places that my overhead operatory light will not go.  As explained by Oroscoptic, these loupes are more like binoculars and use prisms and mirrors to create a magnified image. Ok, so I do look a little different when wearing them but I am fine with that as long as I can possess their high magnification with an excellent depth of field. Normal magnifiers are "Galilean"and are smaller, but at magnifications of 4 or more their depth of field is very limited.

On Fridays I teach at N.Y.U. College of dentistry and most of the students have invested in a smaller 2.5 power set of loupes( gallilean type). These look quite sylish and most have "young eyes". They probably feel that higher magnification is  for older practictioners whose eye sight has gotten less precise as they age. They are partly right, but in my opinion, most  would benefit from even higher power loupes, especially for performing cosmetic dentistry and when placing composite restorations.




from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2018/09/whats-your-super-power.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know