Do you take Cigna dental insurance?


Last time I checked on Zocdoc there were five different Cigna networks listed. We only accept Cigna PPO. Often people with other Cigna plans can use our office, but they may have extra co-pay, When we joined the "Cigna Family" they offered fewer plans. They had a HMO plan and a PPO plan. Now its a little confusing for patients calling our office for an appointment . We tell them we take Cigna PPO and often that is not the plan they end up having on their insurance card ( when they locate it).

My office manager is very nice, but if they are not actually on Cigna PPO , she tells them that it would be best for them to contact their insurer or their human resources department. As Cigna has started offering more plans, fewer of our callers with Cigna actually have Cigna PPO.

Patients often ask why don't I accept more of the Cigna offerings and the answer is that it is not in my interest since I already offer over a 25% discount for most of our procedures, when done for a Cigna patient. How low should we go? Although I like the discount I get from shopping at Walmart, I don't know if that philosophy is best for choosing your dental provider.I believe that saving money is  good, but the devil is in the details where dentistry is concerned. Dental work that doesn't hold up or causes problems is no bargain!

I should add that many of the patients with other Cigna PPO plans ( Dental PPO:Advantage for example) have pretty good coverage and if they choose to come to us should be satisfied. They may have slightly more out of pocket, but most who try us out tend to be happy. My office manager files pre-certifications for patients needing significant work, so they can see how much out of pocket costs they will have.

from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2017/11/do-you-take-cigna-dental-insurance.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know