Will my night guard or retainer still fit after I have a new crown placed?

Most night guards are placed over the maxillary teeth, so a new lower crown will not interfere with the fit of an upper night guard. It may require a slight bite adjustment afterwards though. new upper crowns do affect the fit of a maxillary night guard.I usually ask my patients to bring their night guards to the appointment where I am fitting their new crown. I use GC fit checker to relieve the internal aspect of their night guard that is coming into contact with their crown. The night guard should fit "passively" around their new crown and definitely not contact it. Hard acrylic can cause problems if it is teetering on a crown when a patient bites down with hard pressure so a the internal around a new crown should be relieve slightly.

Invisalign style retainers are another matter, since they are thin and can not be relieved easily. To do so would risk perforating the retainer. To avoid possibly ruining my patients retainer, I usually try to send it in the bag with my final impression, before the crown is fabricated. I instruct the lab to fit the new crown to the retainer. This works well because the somewhat flexible Invisilagn retainer will usually fit over the pindexed model used to make the crown, so my technician can make sure the new crown fits the retainer properly.




from Ask Dr. Spindel - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/2017/09/will-my-night-guard-or-retainer-still.html - http://lspindelnycdds.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Child is Terrified of the Dentist

Going for the Gold?

Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know